Over the years, frozen pizza has come a long way. Gone are the cardboard crusts, tasteless sauces, and skimpy toppings. However, today’s frozen pizza can tip the scales when it comes to calories, fat and sodium. Be sure to look at the number of servings on the box’s nutritional label. Even a small personal size pizza can be 2 or more servings.
To improve your odds, select a frozen pizza that is loaded with vegetables and follows these guidelines for per serving:
- Less than 375 calories, 10 grams of fat, and 4 grams of saturated fat
- Less than 675 milligrams of sodium
- Choose vegetable toppings on a thinner crust (or select plain cheese pizza and add your own vegetable toppings at home)
- Start with a salad and low-calorie dressing and limit yourself to two slices of pizza.
- Select a single-serving pizza for built-in portion control
- Stay away from stuffed crust pizza
- Pass on the pepperoni, sausage, bacon and extra cheese
Taken from SparkPeople.com