Making your own meet and cheese pockets cost a whopping 35 cents each, where the store bought is over $1.00 each. Prep-time is minimal and you don’t need a lot of filling to make them work. In fact, too much filling can cause leakage and soggy crusts.
Hands-On Time: 20 minutes
Ready In: 35 minutes
Yield: Serves 10
1 cup unsalted butter or shortening
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
8 Tablespoons ice water
4 ounces sliced pepperoni (or chicken, sausage, ground beef, etc.)
1 cup pizza sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut butter into small cubes and set aside. Combine flour, salt and baking powder. Add to butter and cut in until crumbly.
- Sprinkle ice water over crumbs and blend with fingers until a smooth dough forms. Let rest briefly.
- Roll dough into a rectangle 25 inches by 10 inches. Cut into 10 equal squares 5 inches x 5 inches each.
- Spread one side of each square with a tablespoon of sauce. Top with cheese and pepperoni so that all squares contain the same amount.
- Fold over the other side of the dough and pinch edges to seal.
- Bake on parchment lined baking sheets for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle each pocket with a bit more cheese and return to the oven for 5 minutes longer.