This homemade recipe is really easy to make and so much more healthy and delicious then the frozen kind (no frying for starters — these are baked). But if you’re still nostalgic for frozen tots, just grab some more potatoes, double the recipe, and you’ll have plenty extra to freeze and enjoy at a later date. No more heading out to buy fried potatoes in a bag. Now your kids can discover all the joy of tots without you having to worry about all the fillers and additives of store bought brands. It’ll be like reliving your own youth — only healthier!
Potatoe (Tater) Tots (Serves 4)
2 Large Potatoes (about 1 lb), cut into 2 inch cubes (they don’t have to be perfect)
1/2 Cup All-Purpose Flour
1 Egg, whisked
1 Cup Panko Breadcrumbs (white or wheat)
Canola Oil Spray
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Boil the potatoes in salted water in a pot for 12-15 minutes or until fork tender.
3. Drain off all the water and cool the potatoes.
4. Using the side of a box grater, grate all of the potatoes into a bowl.
5. Place the flour, whisked egg and breadcrumbs in THREE separate bowls.
6. Take about 1 tbsp of the potato mixture and shape into “tater tots”.
7. Roll the tots into the flour, followed by the egg, then the panko bread crumbs, coating lightly.
8. Place onto a silpat or parchment lined cookie sheet and coat evenly with cooking spray.
9. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
10. Cool and serve.
Taken from, where else?, Weelicious.com