Hiring a babysitter seems like to should be any easy thing to do. You find the teenager in the neighborhood and hire them. But not quiet. There are some basic questions that must be asked. Here is a list of them to ensure you find the best babysitter that will fit well with your child.
Taken from Dr. Spock
Here are some questions to get the ball rolling and help you bring up some key concerns:
- How long have you been babysitting?
- Do you have any experience babysitting children my child’s age?
- What do you like to do with them to keep them amused?
- How do you soothe a crying infant (or an angry toddler)?
- What’s the best way to put a baby down to sleep? (Make sure that the sitter knows to place an infant on her back to sleep, never on her stomach or side.)
- Have you taken any babysitting or first-aid courses?
- Have you ever given children my child’s age a bath? (Make sure that the sitter knows to never leave a child alone in or near a filled bathtub for even a minute.)
- If the sitter is old enough to drive and will be transporting yourchild: What kind of car do you have and what is your driving record like? (You may want to double-check this with the sitter’s parents.) Make sure that the sitter knows how to install and use your child’s car seat.
- If you have a pool: Can you swim? Do you know what to do in a drowning emergency? (Make sure that the sitter knows tonever leave a child alone near a pool)
- If you have pets: Are you allergic to any animals? Are you comfortable around dogs (or cats, boa constrictors, birds, lizards, whatever)?
- If she’s a young sitter: Do you live nearby, and will your parents be home to help if a problem arises?
- If she’ll be serving your children a meal: Can you cook? (If the answer is no and you still like the sitter, microwave dinners or take-out pizza might be the way to go.)
- Will you drive yourself to our home, or do you need to be picked up or dropped off? (Again, not a deal breaker, but it’s nice to know if you have to factor extra driving time into your evening.)
- What do you expect to be paid? (Do a little research ahead of time so you know what the going rate in your area is.) Do you prefer cash or a check?
- Can you provide me with a couple of references from former or current babysitting clients?